Based on the International Test Commissions’s guidelines and good practices in test adaptation, the following guidelines can be followed to adopt or adapt Griffiths III for use in different countries or cultures:
- Decide whether test adoption (translation) or test adaption is the best approach to employ.
- Develop a protocol to adopt (translate) or adapt Griffiths III in the country/population/culture of interest.
- Submit the protocol to ARICD to request permission to adopt or adapt Griffiths III. The protocol will be consiered by a joint ARICD and Hogrefe panel.
- Permission to adopt or adapt will include a decision regarding publication and distribution.
- Establish a multi-disciplinary team, including test development experts, qualifies translators and cultural experts, to undertake the adoption or adaption of Griffiths III.
- Translate/Adapt Griffiths III using the appropriate design and approaches.
- Conduct a small tryout of the adopted/adapted version.
- Review the adapted version and make the necessary changes.
- Place scores of both the translated/adapted version and the original Griffiths III on a common scale.
- Conduct a comprehensive psychometric study to determine the adopted/adapted Griffiths III’s:
- Validity, which includes investigations into bias and the construct equivalence of Griffiths III in the languages and cultures of interest
- Document the process and follow the directions of the joint ARICD and HOgrefe panel to prepare the manual, test materials and protocols for test users.
- Notify ARICD when the adopted/adapted version of Griffiths III is ready for use so that it can be listed by ARICD and Hogrefe.
It should be noted that sometimes in the adaptation process, to improve content and construct coverage that enhances the suitability of Griffiths III for use in another country or cultural context, it is necessary for:
- some items to be discarded and replaced by more culturally appropriate, new items;
- additional items to be added.
ARICD holds the copyright for Griffiths III and permission is required from ARICD to undertake projects to adopt or adapt it in any way.